The municipalities of Heusden and Zolder were until their fusion on January 1st 1977, seperately controlled areas. Heusden was first mentioned as Husden in 1219. Zolder has often seen its name changed, from Suerle to Suylre and Solre and finally to Zolder. The history of Zolder and most of Heusden is closely linked with that of the Vogelsanck feudal Estate. From 1187 until 1797, this Estate covered an area of seven municipalities central Limburg, the centre of which was Vogelsanck Castle in Zolder. In the beginning of the twentieth century, the appearance of both municipalities suddenly changed due to the discovery of coal. Zolders mine was in use from 1923 tot 1992. It was the last mine still being exploited in the Benelux. Because of easy access via two major motorways and the proximity of several large cities. Heusden-Zolder became a tourist center with a well established tourist infrastructure.
Moreover it possesses a well-estable tourist infrastructure. Heusden-Zolder is an acknowledged European municipality, a sports municipality, a nuclear-free zone and a verdant holiday area.
Find out how blogster